Sunday, February 14, 2010

Holy Rusted Confusion, Batman.

I ask you an important question - is it worth it to take a job that is not anywhere near what you want to do or in your area of expertise just because it is offered to you and has a decent sized paycheck? Or do you hold out for other opportunities that are in the works?

I went on an interview for a receptionist job at a fashion company in New York, and as glamourous as it may or may not sound, it's not really what I want. The pay would be fine, and the location is ideal, if not perfect - but I don't want to be a receptionist. And it's not a job where I can work my way up and end up writing or doing what I want. It's a secretarial position where I'll be doing nothing but answering phones and emails, and getting people coffee. Plus, the interview was awkward and uncomfortable and a total of ten minutes long after an hour and half commute into the city. Now, they want a second interview to hire, and I have to decide if it's worth it - even though I'm leaning towards the negative.

The thing is, with the way the economy is, I would be stupid to turn it down - but I don't think I would be happy, or even content. I feel like I would be smarter waiting for some of my contacts to come through - my meeting with one of the higher-ups at the Food Network, my contacts at YAI - places where I would be happy. And I suppose I could take a receptionist job and quit after a month, but I don't know if I could do that.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? They are much appreciated, seeing as how I am entirely at a loss for what to do!

No comments: