Thursday, March 12, 2009

Obsessions and Their Consequences

I'm completely obsessed with the new Lilly Allen CD. Download it now, thank me later.

She's quirky, intelligent, hilarious, her music is catchy, and her lyrics are fantastic - what else could I want in a musical artist? For them to British. OH WAIT - she is. Full package? Yes. And she's only 23 years old. So unfair.

"Pop sensation. Voice of her generation. Fashion designer. Political activist. Mouthy blogshite. X-rated sexpert. Fall down drunk. WAG-tagoniser. Queen of Myspace. Exhibitionist. Primidonna. Style icon. Celebrity girlfriend. Celebrity daughter. Celebrity sister. Paparazzi prey. Party starter. Princess.

Lilly Allen has been called all these things, and much, much more - sometimes with justification, often without. She's posh, she's common, she's sexy, she's demure, she's reticent, she's outspoken, she's sensitive, she's shameless, she's loved-up, she's distraught, often all in the same evening. Then she goes to bed, gets up and has breakfast. Then she posts her breakfast on the Internet. Then other people analyse her breakfast. And wonder why she posted it on the Internet.

Contrary, contradictory, occasionally catty, always compelling. Allen, at 23, is Britain's most consistently engaged and engaging pop star, as well as one of our most successful."

Her first album is amazing, but her second takes the cake. I love her almost as much as Mika. Perhaps more so.

Life's about film stars and less about mothers
Its all about fast cars and passing each other
But it doesn't matter 'cause I'm packing plastic
And that's what makes my life so fucking fantastic

And I am a weapon of massive consumption
And its not my fault its how I'm program to function
Ill look at the sun and Ill look in the mirror
I'm on the right track yeah I'm on to a winner

I don't know whats right and whats real anymore
I don't know how I'm meant to feel anymore
When we think it will all become clear
'Cause I'm being taken over by The Fear

No comments: