Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays. Or Tuesdays.

Rain always makes me one of the following things:

1. Stir crazy
2. Feel the need to put on galoshes (yup, galoshes) and jump in puddles, or
3. Overly contemplative.  Today is a 3 kind of day.

I was told today that I don't know what love is.  Maybe that's true.  Maybe no one truly knows what "love" is, until they are in it.  Even still, how can one person determine whether or not anyone else feels it or not?  Isn't love one of those feelings that is different for each and every individual?  Emotions are only emotions because of the way they effect people, and can really only be determined by the severity in which one feels them.  I've always felt as though feelings and emotions can't necessarily be exactly defined because they are so personal and unique to each person that it is hard to pin point exactly what the "definition" of one is.  Sure, when a person is happy they feel good - but happiness means something different to everyone.  The way a person expresses oneself is specific to them, not to the dictionaries determination.  It aggravates me that, knowing this, people still pass judgement on other peoples reactions and interpretations.  Some people are more or less sensitive than others, and therefore react differently to situations in which someone else may feel is either ridiculous or not severe enough.  Who are we to judge how someone feels?  In addition, it's not always about intent, but perception.  Sometimes what you say may be interpreted differently than what you initially meant.  I just don't see why people can't just be honest and forward, and say what they mean.  Maybe I'm too harsh.

My ultimate point here?  Just jumbles of words mindlessly floating.  It's topics like this, and being called out on something I maybe once questioned that remind me of who I am, and what I believe.  I spent so long being unsure - of myself, and of everything in my life - only to come to the conclusion that nothing is certain or finite.  Things change in an instant, and there isn't always a way to be prepared for them.  I put too much stake in people and events, and allow too much meaning to be placed on words and emotions.  I don't know if it's good or bad, but it's me.  Being aware of it helps me put things in perspective, and realize when I'm maybe being ridiculous or on point.  What I've learned from it all is simply not to judge others on their emotions.  Sometimes, there is simply no right or wrong.  And I'm okay with who I am.  Learning and growing.  What total cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's what I know: just as the definition of "love" is different to every person, the definition of "love" also changes with every person one happens to love/be in love with. Someone who tells you that you don't know what love is, clearly doesn't know what it is him/herself because there is no set definition. I also know what love is NOT, and that is anything that makes you feel badly about yourself. If what you feel for someone makes you stop loving yourself, then it's not love...it's torture.

At any rate, don't let someone else get to you. Only you can define love for yourself. And maybe you haven't found it yet, but I think you just haven't found your new definition of love yet.

*erin*